Skillet Apple Pie
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled & sliced
- 3 honeycrisp apples, peeled & sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, cubed
- 2 sheets store-bought pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice, vanilla, granulated sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and rest in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lay one sheet of crust along the bottom of a seasoned cast iron skillet. Pour the bowl of macerated apples to the base of the pie. Add cubes of butter along the top of the apples.
- Top the pie with the second sheet of crust. Make it fancy with strips of crust or leave it whole but be sure to cut vents in the crust to allow the steam to escape. Trim or tuck the edges of crust.
- Brush the top of the crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until golden. Allow the pie to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
**Be sure to snap a picture before it’s all gone, learn from my mistakes!