Cinnamon Swirl Banana Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 3 mushed bananas
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 Cup + 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 7 Tbsp unsalted Butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350. Using a hand mixer, beat the soft butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar for about 2 minutes in a large bowl. With the mixer running, add the eggs, beat an additional 1 minute. Next, add the banana and buttermilk, beat until just combined.
- In a separate medium bowl mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined using a silicone spatula.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. To make the streusel topping, mix together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Pour the melted butter into the mixture and mix well until no dry bits remain. Set aside.
- To a parchment lined** loaf pan, add half the banana bread batter. Cover with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Pour in the remaining banana bread batter and spread evenly. Top the loaf with the Streusel topping.
- Bake for 65-70 minutes until the loaf is set. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Using the parchment paper, pull the loaf out of the pan and finish cooling on a wire rack before slicing, about 30 minutes.
**I allow the parchment to hang about 2 inches over each side. Once the batter and streusel are laid in the pan, I pull the parchment to stand up to allow the cake to rise without loosing the topping.